The Power of Presence

"There is nothing like the power of PRESENCE that says I will "be there" for someone else, I may not have the solution but I will be there!!" -Dr. Anthony Gordon


The burdens of the inner city are many. One can't help but to at times feel this weight of wanting to "fix" all the problems that go on day and night. "W" never thought she would be the one in a domestic dispute that would leave her unconscious and in the hospital. Growing up in the worst part of the city was enough, trying to raise kids alone was enough. What more would she have to deal with?!
"S" loves to come play at our house. Every opportunity she gets , she looks for a reason to call me to come get her. I often pull up to have her running out of the home while some drug transaction is happening on her door steps. The issues that surround her should not exist for any child. A prostitute walking pass our home asked my husband to pray for her. Specifically she wanted him to pray she would one day have a husband. I often wonder was this because she just wanted to feel valued,loved, have feelings of worth?!

Presence is powerful! We have the amazing privilege to position ourselves in places that the light of Christ needs to shine so desperately. Places where those who are hopeless are able to see and experience redemption and hope, where those who are running for shelter are able to be pointed to the refuge of Christ!
I sat with "W" as I listened to her story of abuse. We cried together and I begged the Lord to give her eyes to see Him, protect her, and have a relationship with Him. In tears she thanked me for being there, she said she felt as if she didn't have any friends, but seeing me show up, was enough for her to know at least she had one person who cared. I lovingly said, "oh, but there is another, who longs to carry these burdens more than me, Jesus is here and He cares. That's why I'm here because He sent me". Showing up for your neighbors during the most darkest times is such a wonderful reminder to them of Gods presence. He sees, He knows, He is there!



I'm able to rejoice as I know CHRIST presence and comfort is shinning forth as I  watch many little girls run through my home, teenage boys funk up my living room from horse playing, elderly women call me a faithful friend for taking them back and forth to the grocery store. Visiting teen moms in hospital, praying with girls late at night over phone who are heart broken over some dude, answering your door at 3am in the morning, running out in the middle of the night to be by the side of a kid who just lost their mom to cancer or  one who lost their dad to jail.

MY presence, YOUR presence, bear witness to someone far more greater than you and I. Lord help me to not forget, I'm representing you!!

We're demonstrating the Kingdom of God every time we show up and serve.

Maximize the power of your presence where you are! Let's remember our cities so desperately need to see Jesus, don't rob them of this picture!


You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand-Psalm 16:11

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone