The Arrival

So, after a layover in Miami and waking up at 3am to catch our international flight to Jacmel, Haiti, we're FINALLY HERE!!

I can't believe I got out of  the United States!!! This is a HUGE thing for me. I don't travel much and when I do it's not far. When I think over my life and all the things I've been through, I would have never thought the Lord would have this girl from the Chi overseas somewhere.  He's such a good Father ! 

We made it to the orphanage, received our room assignments, got settled and immediately we all fell in love with the city! I  met a young woman by the name of Lunda, who's one of the ground cooks. She's amazing and cooks everything from scratch!!! (Like literally) She speaks very little English and I speak zero Haitian Creole, but the little I knew I used to ask her for permission to help in the kitchen and she let me. This young woman worked so hard preparing a meal for us, and it was delicious!! 

I had so much fun learning  from her I didn't realize it was 150 degrees in the kitchen!! (It's hot in Haiti people) As I helped, I begin to think about all the many volunteers groups that come in and out so many ministries, including my own. I'm very sensitive to making sure I don't come into someone else's culture and try to take over, but come in with a mindset of learning and serving. Respecting  all cultural do's and don'ts and making sure my helping doesn't hurt them in the long run. Americans have a huge problem with that and we need to do better. 

I'm amazed and encouraged at all the work that goes on here at Children's Hope. One of the biggest and important messages I noticed about this ministry is not only their love for Jesus but their mission in making sure the people in Haiti know their value, dignity and worth. 


jouk pwochen fwa, (until next time)
~ Nicole