The Talk....

" Mrs. Nicole, I just want to be loved"
" I can't lie, I want to know what its like to have sex. so many of the girls at school are doing it"
" He buys me things and tells me he likes me alot"
"Is it true you can get HIV from kissing??"
" We saw a fourth grader give two boys a lap dance outside during P.E....."
"Mrs. Nicole, I'm taking birth control pills...(
says a seventh grader)"


So, yesterday was Friday the 13th and I feel as if I was staring in a horror film. I invited five of the girls from our program whom I am very close with to spend the night in our home. Kevin and some of the other staff guys hosted a sleepover in our ministry building with the younger boys so this gave us sometime alone . I used this night to talk to the girls about sex,pregnancy and boys. I am speechless at all I heard. We are talking about fourth graders having sex. All of the girls in my home tell me that they still have their 'cards'. ( I learned tonight that this is street slang for being a virgin..whew!) Oh LORD how I want to believe them! They did admit to me they were curious and wanted to have sex. Again, these girls are as young as fourth grade and as old as the seventh. What ever happened to jumping rope,playing hide go seek, cards, twister????
My heart just breaks for these girls. They are bombarded with so many images and standards of beauty that effect them negatively everyday. I even look at my six year old (whom was in the bed at the time of this conversation) and watch the struggle she has to learn how to endure day to day and I am worn out trying to help her survive!! I did not want to do an INJUSTICE to these girls by not talking to them about these things. Oh, how hard this was, it was very draining and sad. I cannot even begin to explain. I just can't. Please join me in standing in the gap for every young girl in the world. Who searches for significance in a boy, in her beauty in her longing to be looved.

LORD have mercy........