Secret Keeper Girl



Sometimes I can do a horrible job when it comes to spending time with my daughter. I am thankful because the Lord has provided grace for me to make this one on one time a priority. I really dont think I understood why this was important because here I am stay at home mom of one who happens to homeschool and take her daughter with her everywhere she goes. Literally, everywhere. Kai and I are attached to the hip.
I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would stick to my calendar and make sure I get some fun girl time, along with some healthy dialog as to what is really going on in the mind of my seven year old.

A week ago, Kai and I begin reading Dannah Gresh fun fiction books for young girls called, Secret Keeper Girls.
What is an SKG? Well, from what I have read and learned a SKG values modesty, she surrounds herself with wise friends and she embraces Godly beauty. But, the most important thing for me to know and teach my daughter was that a Secret Keeper Girl is a masterpiece created by God.

The first book in the SKG series we read was Just Call Me Kate. (quick synopsis) Kate Harding has bigger problems than trying to get her parents to stop calling her “Katie”. She has a major crush on her older brother’s best friend: Zachary Donaldson. She can’t stop thinking about him and he’s at her house 24/7! When the Principal of Rutherford B. Hayes Junior High School discovers that Kate has proclaimed her love for Zachary on the girls’ bathroom wall, things really start to look bad. Meeting 3 fabulous friends, Toni, Danika, and Yuzi, ends up being just what Kate needs to stop obsessing and start having fun.

This was a very good story, kai enjoyed the humor of it, and that encouraged her to listen to the biblical lessons it carried as well. Yesterday, we enjoyed the day out getting pedicures and manicures. ( I also got something done to these eyebrows of mine, ya girl almost had a uni brow... what in the world was I thinking going that long without getting them waxed lol) Afterwards,we headed over to Sonic to enjoy their happy hour (slushes and soda people, get ya mind right!!! hahah) as we sat in the car, we begin to talk about our week, what she was learning in her times in the word, and other fun things she would like us to do together. I proceeded to ask her what was the most important thing she learned from my purity study. She begins to share/confess to me her own boy craziness just as Kate in the Secret Keeper Girl book. She begins to tell me that her favorite lesson in the purity study was the one about being purity in what you think,do, and say.She explains that she really liked the part about how we don't have to show off in front of others, especially boys. You see, my daughters memory verse this week has been Romans 1:25

For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

This is what we saw in the life of Kate in the book and now my own seven year old was telling me how she believed her heart was beating the same thing....

"mama, I have to tell you that, I sometimes use to do things to get boys attention. You know my birthday outfit...well, you can throw that into the trash, I don't want to wear it anymore....thats not modest or that wasn't pleasing to God..."

Now, lets discuss. We are not talking about a dress. We are not talking about a pair of 'daisy dukes'. We are not talking about a low cute shirt where all of the chest is out. We are not talking about a tube top. We are talking is a pair of skinny leg jeans, and a pink t-shirt. BUT, they happen to be by a well known designer that a lot of kids in my hood, brag about wearing. In the hood name brand is EVERYTHING. This outfit, that was purchased for my daughter as a gift, was nothing more than what the kids around us wear all the time.
But....God had revealed to my daughter the idolatry behind her heart. She and I begin to talk more about the culture and what they value and what her memory verse says about what happened in her heart as well as those around her. I told her how thankful I was to the Holy Spirit who is working in her life. How that was encouraging for me to hear her honesty and witness her repentance in this matter. We both gave thanks to the Lord. As we drove off into the sun set with our Cherry limeade slushes...

Okay, not really, we did not ride off into the sun set.(ha!!) Man, I just always wanted to say that. Okay, for real, we just sat there smiling, blasting the new Sho Baraka in our speakers,enjoying our drinks. God indeed was revealing to me his faithfulness. I may have said this before, but I just wonder what ways Jesus is going to rock the world of this child? How will He use her? What special calling does He have on her life, if any? I know one thing, He is already used her greatly in mine, even if the Lord calls her to himself today, she has already accomplished much in revealing to me who HE IS. That is what all of creation is about, displaying the glory of the One who was, and IS to come.

Glory To God...