We Are Not Forgotten





Outside of our home, our ministry building and a housing project a couple blocks away from my house are the two main places I spend the bulk of my time. Today, my daughter and I celebrated the birthday of a young girl in our neighborhood. We decided to  join in on the fun at her surprise birthday party. There were soo many kids!! I cant even begin to explain how many random children were at this party. I say random because everyone knows when you have a gathering in the projects, people don't care if you know them or not, they are coming to join in on the fun! Many invite themselves to these function and blend in well with YOUR family. I mean it is hilarious!! 
The entire time I was there, I would hear people (outside of the loud songs filled with profanity) say,
"who are you", and "who told you, you could come here", yet, they were never asked to leave. (not that they should, it was just funny)


Anyway, a lot of things that happened at this party really made me nervous. Just the thought of my daughter and other kids being exposed to many things even me as an adult would prefer not to know or see. ( I mean, we were dead smack in the projects, all kind of stuff was going on) I always find myself asking God, "what is the point, like, why am I here outside of building a genuine relationship with my neighbors." Is this really, worth it"?  and "Where are you in all of this"? When life in the hood gets rough, you can at times feel forgotten, forsaken, alone.


As I sat there on the porch of my friends house, many of the neighborhood kids would run up to me and say, "Hey, Ms Micole!!" "Ms. Micole, when Imma get to come to yo house"? Hugging me, kissing me and some would just walk up and lay on my arm. Out of the 20  something kids that where there, I only knew 5. Many of the kids who where calling my name, I had no idea who they were and how they knew me. Why were they so loving? Why is it every time I see them smile, I see heaven? I see Jesus?


Jesus....Jesus.....


That's it. God was there, right dab smack in the middle of the projects at this birthday party amongst all these kids, God showed up. From my view on the porch you could see the flowers that were placed in the grass in remembrance  of two teens who murder from a drive by earlier in the month, and yet, I saw God.
I was reminded today, that I am not forgotten, my neighborhood is not forgotten. Just as these kids knew me and yet, I didn't know them, God was reminding me that HE TOO ALWAYS KNOWS MY NAME and I, my family, these kids are not forgotten, nor forsaken by HIM. My hood is never forgotten. God knows the name of each and ever last child and adult in my neighborhood and is sovereignly watching over us all. 
During those times, of busyness, laziness and pride, when I act as if I don't know God, or because of the idols of my heart I don't remember HIM...God still remembers me. When gun shots fill the streets, screams and cries, God knows, hears our prayers and cries for help and remembers us all. I'm thankful today that I serve a GOD who is forever mindful of me and all the rest of His creation. His grace is amazing, and I desire to just sit in it all the days of my life!




Isaiah 49:16 - "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands;..."