Day 5 Reflections

"You are not here to assimilate us to the American culture. Nor are you here to demonstrate your power or expand your Christian empire. You are here to contexualize the Gospel for the Navajo (or in my case Haitian people) people. You are here to experience the vastness of Gods character and the discomfort that comes from the diversity of his body. You are here to learn what it means that God allows his disciples to speak the languages of the nations. "
- Mark Charles ( Fort Defiance, Arizona - Navajo Nation)




My time in Haiti has been one the MOST life changing things I've ever experienced. I'm really sad come Friday morning our team will be heading back to the U.S. . I know I said I would blog daily on my experience, but it's been so much to take in and process that I just haven't had time.

I just have to give thanks to the Lord for allowing my husband and I to be engaged in urban missions for the past 8/9 years . That experienced alone has helped this American woman not come in with such a haughty ,controlling, assimilate to my comfort and culture spirit. (Lord knows I love comfort)

I have seen the hand and heard the voice of God in remarkable ways while here in this country. We miss out on so much of Jesus with all that we have in America. The women I've been able to share the gospel with could care less about the weighty things I've learned through my systematic studies of Gods word. They're hungry for JESUS and practical truth!!

Truth that will set the captives free, give sight to the blind and help them through a culture that oppresses them in so many ways. It's been scary having to share truth with these women not knowing if their application will lead them to be abused more , killed or ostracized from their communities. But it's the risk that is taken here everyday when Jesus words are proclaimed and lived out .

In Isaiah 61:1-4 we see the pattern God uses to transform broken people and broken communities. He moves into the lives of people (I.e. Him sending Jesus) and He uses those broken people who have been transformed themselves to now become the transformers (Oaks Of Righteousness) .

What a joyous, yet difficult task it's been to participate in this great work God is doing amongst the Haitian people! What a privilege it is to be able to envision people God can transform into future leaders for their country, community, homes and places of work.

Any volunteer / missions team that goes into broken communities must always remember it's Gods power, His job- not our efforts that will bring about the renewal in people's hearts. What freedom this has been for me as I serve in Haiti as well as when I return to Washington Park. This freedom is also available to you in whatever work the Lord has called you to as well.

GO my friends and watch the spirit work!!!









pou m' bay moun mòn Siyon ki nan lafliksyon yo kè kontan nan plas lapenn yo, kontantman nan plas kè sere yo a. M'ap mete nan bouch yo chante remèsiman nan plas chante plenyen. Yo pral grandi tankou gwo pyebwa nan jaden Seyè a te plante ak men l'. Yo tout pral fè sa ki dwat devan Bondye, pou tout moun ka fè lwanj bèl pouvwa li.
Yo gen pou yo rebati sou anplasman vye lavil yo. Y'a repare kay moun yo te bandonnen depi lontan. Y'a rebati lavil ki te fin kraze yo, kay ki te fin tounen mazi depi lontan yo. - Ezayi 61:3-4 (Isaiah 61:3-4)















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone