He executes justice for the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, he lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves those who live justly. The LORD watches over the immigrant and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked. -Psalm 146:7-9
Friday, March 6, 2009
30 Reasons Why
Being sick, I've had NOTHING but time to think... In my time of reflection, I have thought about what the LORD has done in my heart and Kevin's-- as to why we would want to do a ministry as such. Our ministry is going through some serious growing pains at this moment, so many transitions are on the verge of happening..yet, in it all, we are still unsure as to what the LORD's plans are... I woke up this morning thinking, " ok LORD, things are crazy right now, and its easy to rejoice about something when things are going the way you want..help me to rejoice through the days of uncertainty, and confusion..."
One way I want to bring myself back to the right perspective is to think of the many reasons I believe Kevin and I wanted to be apart of CGM.....through much prayer and consideration over time these are the reasons we have talked about recently, as well as in the beginning as to why WE made the decision to do incarnational ministry:
1. We wanted to SEE and experience JESUS in a way we had never seen him before.
2 We moved among the under resourced to LEARN the gospel.
3. We wanted to "join the lives" of our neighbors instead of just minister to them.
4. It was the clearest way WE saw how to apply John 1:14
5.We did not want "distance" to come between those we minister to.
6. We saw this as clear application to Luke 14:12-14.
7.We wrestled in prayer and the LORD made it CLEAR through many friends, sermons, and bible passages as to what we should do.
8. Because safety is a mirage and we wanted to take risk for the sake of the Kingdom and others knowing Jesus.
9. Micah 6:8 is the BEAT of our heart
10. We too came from such neighborhoods, and we wanted to be that light of HOPE to those who are growing up in similar situations as we did. We wanted to be a example of how the LORD makes all things NEW!!!
11. We considered our lives NO LONGER as our own.
12. We wanted to have the privilege of coming and telling those in our hood about the dignity they were created with.
13. We wanted the let the fatherless, and orphans, and widows know they are not forgotten.
14.We have a HUGE heart for RACIAL RECONCILIATION within the city of Montgomery!
15. We wanted to begin to be Christians again.
16. WE LOVE THE KELLYS!!! seriously, we shared the SAME VISION THEY DID and are thrilled to be working along side of them, and we are so thankful the LORD gave them this vision.
17. WE can live out Isaiah 58
18. We can live out the totality of the gospel not just the part on personal sin, but the side about the social evils that happen day to day as well.
19. We wanted to be exactly were we KNEW JESUS would be if He was still walking on earth today
20. We wanted to kill our love for this world, and set our hearts on things above
21.We knew loving GOD and learning how to love our neighbors would somehow transform our lives....and it HAS!
22. We wanted to be apart of the Lord's plan to REBUILD MONTOGOMERY
23. We have learned and believe the gospel is WHOLISTIC.... it does not single out the spiritual or physical needs and speak to those. We saw God calling us to share the gospel through evangelism, social action, economic development, and justice.
24. WE did not believe in the gospel that reconciled only people to God..but the TRUE GOSPEL that RECONCILES people to GOD and PEOPLE TO PEOPLE. The TRUE GOSPEL breaks down every racial, economic, and ethnic barrier.
25. We wanted to be apart of JUSTICE coming back to a undeserved neighborhood. ( we, God's people bring this when we use our resources)
26. We wanted to become all things to all people so that we might win some for the sake of the Gospel.
27. Because at the foot of the Cross we have so much in common with the prostitute, the crack addict, the fornicator, the molester....we all are in need of this wonderful SAVIOR
28. We wanted to take on the sufferings of the oppressed
29. Because PERFECT LOVE CAST OUT ALL FEAR
30. We wanted to follow and worship the JESUS OF the SCRIPTURES not the American jesus...We wanted to SHOUT THE GOSPEL WITH OUR LIVES!!
I could go on..but i have things to do... (haaa!!) God is FAITHFUL isn't HE, I know that all that I have written on this list has nothing to do with us, but everything to do with the LORD and the way he has CHOSEN to use our lives to bring HIM GLORY...and that's all we want.. CGM has nothing to do with the staff members, programs, bible studies,...those things are just what they are tools, tools for our community to KNOW and SEE the One who longs for them to see HIS FACE, and for them to be reconciled to HIMSELF... I thank the LORD for where we are, and as I have said so, so, many times, I would not change it for anything in the world!!!
**Kevin and I are on our way to a couples retreat...would you pray for our time away
Have a Thankful weekend friends!!
"Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear...."
"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.
"All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."