Going Home-Sabbatical Meditations


We're down to a week left of our sabbatical and I have to be honest, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK!  Now, if you had of asked me that question a little over a month ago, I'm sure I would've given you a different answer. God is good. I really believe the Lord helped us to use this time to accomplish exactly what He wanted to accomplish in us. To help us to refresh so that we would be eager to return and be apart of the work that He's doing in our community. To see Him more clearly and the things that we were in bondage to and needed freedom from that affected our ministry. To be healthy as a family, to really remember that our first priority in ministry is our own personal walks with God and loving our closest neighbors, that being our spouses and our own kids. My daughter has literally been counting down the days of returning home. I've received text messages from both neighbors and friends  looking forward to our return. I can't wait to see everyone again!

Some people think we're crazy. We've heard plenty of statements lately that ask, "are you guys really ready to come back"? "You SURE you want to return..why?!"

Oh yea people, we're VERY sure. We expect things to be difficult, we expect all the craziness that comes along with this calling. We can imagine what we're walking back into. We're walking back into a life that allows us to give of ourselves relationally, hospitably,  and financially (without enabling) in life transforming ways. We're choosing to walk back into the work of God, a life that is full of mess, sometimes deception, sometimes painful, frustrating and wearisome. A life that will force us to stay on our knees begging for Gods help, strength, grace and ability to love others better then we love ourselves. A life that forces me to see the mess that lies within myself and cling to the amazing truth that my life has been hidden in Christ and it is no longer I who lives but Christ that lives within me.All of my righteous standing come from Him! A life that forces me to be honest and vulnerable with my neighbors as they watch me be sanctified, fall on my face, learn how to walk in repentance and fight daily to live a life worthy of the gospel.

About 6 years ago, I read this quote by Francis Chan that God used to confirm in my heart the life that He was calling me to not only follow my husband into, but to be apart of as well.

“But God doesn't call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn't come through.” - Crazy Love, Overwhelmed by a Relentless God.


Thank you Father for this life.